North Bay News
Man killed by large construction truck on Mare Island
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A surveyor was killed Friday afternoon when he was run over by a large truck on Mare Island, Vallejo police and state safety officials said.
The incident happened around 12:55 p.m. at Flagship and Club drives where a construction crew was grading a site for three future homes, Vallejo police Lt. Herman Robinson said.
Robinson said a Caterpillar scraper, a large earthmover, was moving east through the construction site toward the two-man survey crew.
The driver of the scraper made a U-turn and did not see the employee holding the surveyor's pole. The driver looked back and saw the surveyor on the ground, got out to check him and called for medical aid, Robinson said.
The surveyor was pronounced dead at the scene, Robinson said.
California Division of Occupational Safety and Health spokeswoman Kathleen Hennessey said investigators with Cal-OSHA arrived at the site of the accident Friday afternoon.
Hennessey said the 51-year-old Newark man who died was employed by KDW Construction LLC in Vacaville.
The company did not immediately respond to calls Friday afternoon.
vallejo, north bay news
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated 55 min ago
- Elevator company cited in death at Levi's Stadium 57 min ago
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Gays seek inclusion at SoCal Vietnamese parade 26 min ago
- Spotify launches free mobile streaming service 13 min ago
- Pope Francis named TIME's Person of the Year
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday