North Bay News
Man killed by large construction truck on Mare Island
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A surveyor was killed Friday afternoon when he was run over by a large truck on Mare Island, Vallejo police and state safety officials said.
The incident happened around 12:55 p.m. at Flagship and Club drives where a construction crew was grading a site for three future homes, Vallejo police Lt. Herman Robinson said.
Robinson said a Caterpillar scraper, a large earthmover, was moving east through the construction site toward the two-man survey crew.
The driver of the scraper made a U-turn and did not see the employee holding the surveyor's pole. The driver looked back and saw the surveyor on the ground, got out to check him and called for medical aid, Robinson said.
The surveyor was pronounced dead at the scene, Robinson said.
California Division of Occupational Safety and Health spokeswoman Kathleen Hennessey said investigators with Cal-OSHA arrived at the site of the accident Friday afternoon.
Hennessey said the 51-year-old Newark man who died was employed by KDW Construction LLC in Vacaville.
The company did not immediately respond to calls Friday afternoon.
vallejo, north bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...