North Bay News
Deputy who shot teen a veteran firearms instructor
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KGO) -- It was last Tuesday when 13-year-old Andy Lopez was carrying an air-soft rifle that shoots pellets to his friend's house in Santa Rosa. The rifle closely resembles an AK- 47.
Sonoma County sheriff deputies stopped him, ordered Lopez to drop the rifle, then opened fire, hitting the teen seven times, killing him.
The deputy who fatally shot Andy has been identified as 48-year-old Erick Gelhaus a 24-year veteran of the department. Gelhaus is a firearms instructor who has written articles for law enforcement publications on the use of deadly force.
Gelhaus said he feared for his life when Andy turned around and pointed the rifle at him.
Monday, Sonoma County Sheriff Steve Freitas spoke to ABC7 News about the shooting and the reaction from the community.
"I don't believe that racism is involved in this case at all and many of the people of Sonoma County know that the sheriff's office, and me specifically, has done much in the past three years to build bridges, specifically with the Latino community," Freitas said.
The FBI has joined several local agencies looking into the shooting.
A large crowd of demonstrators is expected to rally over the shooting in downtown Santa Rosa Tuesday at noon.
santa rosa, shooting, sonoma county, guns, north bay news, wayne freedman
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 20 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 58 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
58 min ago