North Bay News
Rallies held across California for teen killed by deputy
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KGO) -- Organizers call it a day of action. Rallies were planned across the state in a statement of outrage against the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old Andy Lopez.
Lopez was shot and killed on Oct. 22.
Protests and gatherings were held on Saturday in five California cities, including the teen's hometown of Santa Rosa.
A peaceful gathering was held in a Santa Rosa park, but the message remained strong -- Justice for Andy Lopez. They called this a day of action.
"They want answers, they're angry, and they feel that the process might not be working in the way they think it should be," organizer Terri Carrion said.
Hundreds signed a petition requesting that the lot, where the 13-year-old was shot, be turned into a memorial park.
Others made an effigy of Sonoma County Sheriff's Deputy Erick Gelhaus, who shot and killed Lopez when he mistook the teen's air-soft rifle for an AK-47.
"This time we just don't wanna let it lie," parent Elizabeth Cozine said. "Things need to change. You know, we want a different stories because we don't want any more Andy Lopez's. You know, we don't want that to happen anywhere else."
Across the state, others were calling for action in the death of Andy Lopez, too. This included Sacramento, Oakland, and San Francisco.
Protesters in San Francisco, also calling for justice, held signs and chanted, "What do we want? Justice! When do we want it? Now!"
The FBI is conducting its own independent investigation into the death of Andy Lopez.
In the meantime, the victim's family has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the sheriff's department and Deputy Gelhaus.
santa rosa, shooting, sonoma county, guns, FBI, children, protest, lawsuit, oakland, sacramento, los angeles, north bay news
- Wounded police officer back in surgery 51 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing 5 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Warriors give Oakland High School students 3D printer 5 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire 52 min ago