North Bay News
Rallies held across California for teen killed by deputy
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KGO) -- Organizers call it a day of action. Rallies were planned across the state in a statement of outrage against the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old Andy Lopez.
Lopez was shot and killed on Oct. 22.
Protests and gatherings were held on Saturday in five California cities, including the teen's hometown of Santa Rosa.
A peaceful gathering was held in a Santa Rosa park, but the message remained strong -- Justice for Andy Lopez. They called this a day of action.
"They want answers, they're angry, and they feel that the process might not be working in the way they think it should be," organizer Terri Carrion said.
Hundreds signed a petition requesting that the lot, where the 13-year-old was shot, be turned into a memorial park.
Others made an effigy of Sonoma County Sheriff's Deputy Erick Gelhaus, who shot and killed Lopez when he mistook the teen's air-soft rifle for an AK-47.
"This time we just don't wanna let it lie," parent Elizabeth Cozine said. "Things need to change. You know, we want a different stories because we don't want any more Andy Lopez's. You know, we don't want that to happen anywhere else."
Across the state, others were calling for action in the death of Andy Lopez, too. This included Sacramento, Oakland, and San Francisco.
Protesters in San Francisco, also calling for justice, held signs and chanted, "What do we want? Justice! When do we want it? Now!"
The FBI is conducting its own independent investigation into the death of Andy Lopez.
In the meantime, the victim's family has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the sheriff's department and Deputy Gelhaus.
santa rosa, shooting, sonoma county, guns, FBI, children, protest, lawsuit, oakland, sacramento, los angeles, north bay news
- Campbell police seek witnesses in fatal stabbing
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Fashion designer L'Wren Scott found dead in NY
- DUI checkpoints dot the Bay Area on St. Paddy's Day 58 min ago
- 2 hospitalized after stabbing in San Francisco 31 min ago
- Police search for clues in fatal Concord hit-and-run
- Putin declares Crimea 'sovereign and independent'
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists
- New book reveals Steve Jobs nixed Apple TV idea 59 min ago
- GitHub employee quits; Alleges sexism in workplace
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- DUI checkpoints dot the Bay Area on St....
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos