North Bay News
Rallies held across California for teen killed by deputy
SANTA ROSA, Calif. (KGO) -- Organizers call it a day of action. Rallies were planned across the state in a statement of outrage against the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old Andy Lopez.
Lopez was shot and killed on Oct. 22.
Protests and gatherings were held on Saturday in five California cities, including the teen's hometown of Santa Rosa.
A peaceful gathering was held in a Santa Rosa park, but the message remained strong -- Justice for Andy Lopez. They called this a day of action.
"They want answers, they're angry, and they feel that the process might not be working in the way they think it should be," organizer Terri Carrion said.
Hundreds signed a petition requesting that the lot, where the 13-year-old was shot, be turned into a memorial park.
Others made an effigy of Sonoma County Sheriff's Deputy Erick Gelhaus, who shot and killed Lopez when he mistook the teen's air-soft rifle for an AK-47.
"This time we just don't wanna let it lie," parent Elizabeth Cozine said. "Things need to change. You know, we want a different stories because we don't want any more Andy Lopez's. You know, we don't want that to happen anywhere else."
Across the state, others were calling for action in the death of Andy Lopez, too. This included Sacramento, Oakland, and San Francisco.
Protesters in San Francisco, also calling for justice, held signs and chanted, "What do we want? Justice! When do we want it? Now!"
The FBI is conducting its own independent investigation into the death of Andy Lopez.
In the meantime, the victim's family has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the sheriff's department and Deputy Gelhaus.
santa rosa, shooting, sonoma county, guns, FBI, children, protest, lawsuit, oakland, sacramento, los angeles, north bay news
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 9 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos