North Bay News
Shooting victim found near elementary school in Vallejo
VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- Police in Vallejo are on the lookout for a shooter after they found a man shot several times at Whitney and Pomona Avenues next to Widenmann Elementary School Sunday afternoon.
The victim was found in the middle of the street, right in front of the main entrance of the school at about 2:30 p.m.
People driving by reportedly pulled over to try and help the man. They say he had been shot multiple times and even had some gunshot wounds to the head. Yet, despite his injuries, the man was conscious and talking.
Witnesses told Vallejo police that prior to the shooting, two people had been arguing at the front steps of the school. It's unclear where exactly the shooting took place.
Police did find a blood trail to a playground area on school grounds. They combed that part of the school for evidence. But at this point the gunman is still at large.
One neighbor said he didn't see anyone running away, but he did hear the gunshots.
"Just five shots," neighbor Kelvin Nichols said. "Then I came outside, I didn't see anything, then went back in. My stepson came home and then he said somebody was laying in the middle of the street with cars on both sides of him. Then, I guess the ambulance came and the police came and taped it all off."
The victim was transported to the hospital. Last we heard, he was still alive.
vallejo, crime, shooting, north bay news, lilian kim
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos