North Bay News
Victim fatally struck by dump truck ID'd as 67-year-old Novato woman
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- A Novato woman was killed and a man was injured when they were struck and run over by a dump truck in a San Rafael crosswalk early Friday afternoon, police said.
At 12:17 p.m., the couple was walking west on the south side of Third Street and was crossing Hetherton Street in a crosswalk when a loaded dump truck traveling west on Third Street turned left onto Hetherton and struck them, San Rafael police spokeswoman Margo Rohrbacher said.
The woman, identified as 67-year-old Olga Rodriguez, died at the scene and the man was taken to Marin General Hospital with major injuries, Cpl. Justin Graham said.
Both the pedestrians and the truck had a green light but the driver should have yielded to the pedestrians, according to Rohrbacher.
The truck driver said he didn't see the couple in the crosswalk, but stopped after he heard a sound and looked in his rearview mirror, Rohrbacher said.
Graham said it appears that alcohol is not a factor in the collision. It took place in a busy section of city streets, and San Rafael police are asking any witnesses to call them at (415) 485-3000.
san rafael, pedestrian struck, north bay news
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 2 min ago
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta 37 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case 16 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Drought prompts officials to release water...
37 min ago