North Bay News
Victim fatally struck by dump truck ID'd as 67-year-old Novato woman
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. -- A Novato woman was killed and a man was injured when they were struck and run over by a dump truck in a San Rafael crosswalk early Friday afternoon, police said.
At 12:17 p.m., the couple was walking west on the south side of Third Street and was crossing Hetherton Street in a crosswalk when a loaded dump truck traveling west on Third Street turned left onto Hetherton and struck them, San Rafael police spokeswoman Margo Rohrbacher said.
The woman, identified as 67-year-old Olga Rodriguez, died at the scene and the man was taken to Marin General Hospital with major injuries, Cpl. Justin Graham said.
Both the pedestrians and the truck had a green light but the driver should have yielded to the pedestrians, according to Rohrbacher.
The truck driver said he didn't see the couple in the crosswalk, but stopped after he heard a sound and looked in his rearview mirror, Rohrbacher said.
Graham said it appears that alcohol is not a factor in the collision. It took place in a busy section of city streets, and San Rafael police are asking any witnesses to call them at (415) 485-3000.
san rafael, pedestrian struck, north bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 6 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 41 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos