North Bay News
College of Marin on alert after report of student kidnapped, assaulted
KENTFIELD, Calif. (KGO) -- Students at a North Bay community college are on alert after a student says he was taken from campus and sexually assaulted. It happened at the College of Marin in Kentfield.
College of Marin now has extra police officers patrolling parking Lot 13. The added security is in response to a kidnapping and sexual assault that began in the lot around 8 p.m. Thursday.
Students were notified on Friday through email, text alerts and even a Facebook post. The victim, a male student, says that when he got in his car after class there was a man with a gun in the backseat who forced him to drive to Tam Valley where the man sexually assaulted him. The student was able to escape and get help, but the attacker also escaped.
He's described as a black male, 6'0" to 6'2", heavy set, weighing 220 to 235 pounds.
"Someone who would do this is a sick person," said one student, who didn't want to be identified. She saw police putting up red alert notices around campus.
"I will be getting a parking permit so I can park closer to campus," said the student.
The Vice President of College Operations Greg Nelson says Lot 13 is a temporary lot the school has had for a number of years. He told us, "It's a gravel parking lot that's used by the community for rideshare and so forth. It's a free parking lot that we use for students as well."
He says permanent lights aren't allowed because it's in a marsh zone, but because of the assault. Temporary lights have been put up and the school is getting gates so it can start closing the lot at 11 p.m.
Students can also ask for an escort from campus police.
marin county, sex crimes, crime, north bay news, ama daetz
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire