Woman mysteriously dies in Thailand
LOS ALTOS, CA (KGO) -- A Bay Area native is searching for answers surrounding the mysterious death of his 27-year-old fiance in Thailand. The couple got engaged only a few weeks ago while on a three-month journey through Southeast Asia.
"She's the most wonderful person that I've ever met in my life," said Ryan Kells.
Los Altos native and Seattle resident Ryan Kells spoke to ABC7 over the Internet about the woman he planned to marry. Kells was on Phi Phi Island in Thailand with his fiance Jill St. Onge when she died after suddenly falling ill only three days ago.
"She couldn't breathe, she was vomiting, and I tried to run her to a hospital and she ended up passing within maybe 12 hours after the first symptoms of being sick," said Kells.
St. Onge's mysterious death is making news in Thailand, because according to the Andaman Times, a young tourist from Norway died a day later after showing similar symptoms at the same Laleena guesthouse. And last month, another Norwegian died mysteriously there as well. Kells believes something toxic must have been in the air.
"She spent about six more hours in the room than I did, and when I stayed in the room for three hours that's when I started to vomit as well, after I've been in the room," said Kells.
A spokesman with the U.S. embassy says due to privacy concerns they can't talk about what they've discussed so far with Thai authorities. But Kells says officials with both governments haven't been helpful at all.
"The U.S. Embassy told us that they didn't want to leave here footprints in Thailand. Well I find that to be ridiculous because I feel that Thailand has left a huge footprint in my life," says Kells.
Kells says he just wants answers, in hopes that another tourist won't end up dead so unexpectedly. Results from his fiancé's autopsy aren't expected for another four to six weeks.
peninsula news, lilian kim
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race 15 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 17 min ago
- Sharks look to extend series vs. Kings to 7th game
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Elderly woman with Alzheimer's missing in Palo Alto
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained 10 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday