Mistrial declared in William Ayres case
SAN MATEO, CA -- A San Mateo County Superior Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of William Ayres, 77, a prominent San Mateo child psychiatrist accused of molesting several young patients in the 1980s and 1990s.
The jury informed the court this afternoon it had failed to agree on a verdict on any of the counts against Ayres.
Judge Beth Freeman declared a mistrial shortly before 4 p.m.
Ayres, who was president of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry from 1993 to 1995, was charged with nine counts of lewd or lascivious acts on a child under 14. He would have faced up to life in prison if convicted.
The trial focused largely on physical exams Ayres conducted on his patients. The alleged victims claimed the doctor groped them, and while Ayres admitted to performing physical exams in which the boys were naked from the waist down, he testified that nothing inappropriate happened.
Defense attorney Doron Weinberg argued that the alleged victims' memory of events should be questioned because of the amount of time between when the alleged crimes took place and when they came forward with their claims -- years after the alleged molestations took place.
Prosecutor Melissa McKowan, however, said the witnesses' accounts were accurate and credible.
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar 27 min ago
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption 20 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted...
59 min ago
- Police visit homes of missing jetliner's...
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos