Community remembers 6-year-old girl killed in crash
ATHERTON, CA (KGO) -- Investigators on the peninsula are searching for the man believed to have been involved in a street race in Menlo Park that killed a 6-year-old girl. Thursday night, family and friends held a vigil in the little girls' honor.
Sadness filled the air around Laurel Elementary School, in Atherton on Thursday, as children learned a lesson of loss.
They were here because of Lisa Xavier. The 6-year-old died last month after she and her parents were caught in the middle of a street race.
Police say the Xaviers were going toward Sun Microsystems. They had the green light and were in the intersection, when two cars were street racing. They'd just gotten off the bridge and ran a red light.
They crashed into the Xaviers' Camry. Lisa died the next day.
Police continue to look for a suspect, Shannon Fox. They believe he was driving one of the race cars, but he got away. And now, the victim's family and friends pray for change and justice.
They lit candles, told stories, and cried. Lisa's grandmother could barely speak through the tears.
"She was taken away, but there is nothing to cry. It's only to remember and be happy with all the things she has done," said Lisa's grandmother.
"It's a small thing, that smile, but it's a beautiful gift that she gave me that I will always carry with me and I can't think of her smile without smiling myself," said another speaker.
Lisa was described as a small girl with a big personality. Her smile was contagious.
"I always thought of her in my heart or in [my mind]. I'll always care for Lisa because Lisa is 100 percent my best friend," said 6-year-old Gregory Fontela.
One of the trees on campus will be lit once a year in Lisa Xavier's honor.
atherton, menlo park, car crash, peninsula news, lisa amin gulezian
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 42 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 55 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 16 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 19 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday