Community remembers 6-year-old girl killed in crash
ATHERTON, CA (KGO) -- Investigators on the peninsula are searching for the man believed to have been involved in a street race in Menlo Park that killed a 6-year-old girl. Thursday night, family and friends held a vigil in the little girls' honor.
Sadness filled the air around Laurel Elementary School, in Atherton on Thursday, as children learned a lesson of loss.
They were here because of Lisa Xavier. The 6-year-old died last month after she and her parents were caught in the middle of a street race.
Police say the Xaviers were going toward Sun Microsystems. They had the green light and were in the intersection, when two cars were street racing. They'd just gotten off the bridge and ran a red light.
They crashed into the Xaviers' Camry. Lisa died the next day.
Police continue to look for a suspect, Shannon Fox. They believe he was driving one of the race cars, but he got away. And now, the victim's family and friends pray for change and justice.
They lit candles, told stories, and cried. Lisa's grandmother could barely speak through the tears.
"She was taken away, but there is nothing to cry. It's only to remember and be happy with all the things she has done," said Lisa's grandmother.
"It's a small thing, that smile, but it's a beautiful gift that she gave me that I will always carry with me and I can't think of her smile without smiling myself," said another speaker.
Lisa was described as a small girl with a big personality. Her smile was contagious.
"I always thought of her in my heart or in [my mind]. I'll always care for Lisa because Lisa is 100 percent my best friend," said 6-year-old Gregory Fontela.
One of the trees on campus will be lit once a year in Lisa Xavier's honor.
atherton, menlo park, car crash, peninsula news, lisa amin gulezian
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope 3 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos