Mountain lion spotted in Portola Valley
PORTOLA VALLEY, CA -- San Mateo County officials are alerting residents of a mountain lion sighting Thursday night in Portola Valley.
The cat was spotted at about 9 p.m. in the 700 block of Wayside Road and reported to the sheriff's office Friday morning.
County officials advise residents not to approach mountain lions and say the animals typically avoid confrontation. Residents are also advised to avoid hiking or jogging during dawn, dusk and at night, when mountain lions are most active, and to keep a close watch on small children.
portola valley, peninsula news
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery 43 min ago
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped 17 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 8 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code 10 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos