Safeway evacuated after gunmen reported
MENLO PARK, CA -- Employees at a Menlo Park Safeway store had a scare early this morning when police evacuated the store searching for armed men.
A woman called police sometime around 1 a.m. after she believed she saw two people carrying guns enter the store on Sharon Park Drive, police said.
Police arrived within minutes and surrounded the building, then evacuated the store.
An extensive search failed to turn up any gunmen, and police said the woman was simply mistaken in what she saw.
Police, however, still encourage residents who think they are witnessing a crime in progress to contact them immediately.
The Palo Alto Police Department and the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office assisted in the response.
safeway, menlo park, peninsula news
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Tri-Valley area could see higher drought rates
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Homicide suspected after body found in San Jose
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- 7OYS explains how to get free car inspections
- Sharks beat Kings 4-3 in OT, take 3-0 series lead
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Suspected San Jose homicide; Warriors Arena
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos