Safeway evacuated after gunmen reported
MENLO PARK, CA -- Employees at a Menlo Park Safeway store had a scare early this morning when police evacuated the store searching for armed men.
A woman called police sometime around 1 a.m. after she believed she saw two people carrying guns enter the store on Sharon Park Drive, police said.
Police arrived within minutes and surrounded the building, then evacuated the store.
An extensive search failed to turn up any gunmen, and police said the woman was simply mistaken in what she saw.
Police, however, still encourage residents who think they are witnessing a crime in progress to contact them immediately.
The Palo Alto Police Department and the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office assisted in the response.
safeway, menlo park, peninsula news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 24 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 28 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash