Friends, family remember Jackie and Janessa Greig
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The funeral services for mother and daughter Jacqueline and Janessa Greig took place on Friday morning. They were killed during the San Bruno explosion and fire. The pipeline blast happened next to their home.
About 900 attended the services at St. Cecilia Catholic Church in San Francisco. Family, friends, colleagues and even strangers gathered to remember and celebrate the lives of mother and daughter.
Janessa was very active at St. Cecilia School. The 13-year-old served as student body president, played basketball, volleyball and Mexican folk dancing. Her mom, 44-year-old Jackie worked at the California Department of Public Utilities Commission for over 20 years. The agency is one of the entities investigating the blast.
Friends and family say they were very active in church and in the community.
"She is so bright, like, I mean radiates the classroom, I mean everyone enjoys having her around. She is just a very happy person," Janessa's friend and classmate Katie Lo said.
"Jackie and I worked together at the PUC, so and our kids have grown up together having attended Kindergarten all the way through eighth grade, so it's very important for us to be here and support the family to just have closure to this terrible event," Jackie's colleague and friend Jeanette Lo said.
The two leave behind Jackie's husband and Janessa's older sister who attends high school. Several agencies, including the church, her school and the PUC have started funds for the family.
Information about donations:
Send a check payable to St. Cecilia School to the address above, or give to one of the people listed below. Please indicate on the check that this is a donation for the Greig family. St. Cecilia School will acknowledge your donation, turn the money over to the family, and give Jacqueline's husband, James Greig, a list of donors.
You may also choose to make a donation for flowers for the memorial services. If you'd like more information, go to www.cpuc.ca.gov
san bruno fire, san bruno, fire, PG&E, NTSB, peninsula news, janelle wang
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 15 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes 2 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 17 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos