Largest food drive in the country kicks off
SAN CARLOS, Calif. (KGO) -- Second Harvest Food Bank which provided 240 million meals in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties last year, is launching what it calls the country's largest food and fund drive.
Former 49er star quarterback Steve Young was on hand for the announcement today at Second Harvest's warehouse in San Carlos, along with campaign chairman Mike Klayko, the CEO of San Jose based Brocade.
The loss of jobs and the recession caused a nine percent increase in demand at Second Harvest this year. It's trying to raise $11 million and 1.7 million pounds of food.
The issue of hunger and the need for food also hits communities such as Sunnyvale in the heart of Silicon Valley.
While Sunnyvale is thought to be untouched by the high jobless rate and the economic downturn, that's not the case, according to Marie Bernard, executive director of Sunnyvale Community Services, a nonprofit agency.
It operates a food bank and other services to a growing number of clients, many of whom are former managers or executives with high tech firms with advanced degrees.
Many if not most are in their 50s and 60s and have exhausted the 99 weeks of unemployment assistance provided by the government. We will be talking to them and learning more about the situation in Sunnyvale.
We'll have the story posted online later today and on ABC7 News at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.
non-profit, food, charities, san carlos, hunger, peninsula news, david louie
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco 5 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos