San Mateo Co. sheriffs to patrol San Carlos
SAN CARLOS, Calif. (KGO) -- As of today, the San Carlos Police Department will officially cease to exist and the San Mateo County Sheriff's Department will officially take over patrolling the Peninsula city.
The sheriff's department will formally mark the takeover with a swearing in ceremony for 43 former police department employees who are transferring. In September, the San Carlos City Council voted to disband the department to save money.
Every sworn officer from San Carlos was offered a position with the sheriff's department and the city's police department will now be used as a sheriff's substation.
San Carlos is now considering dissolving its fire department and having the duties taken over by another agency.
san carlos, san mateo county, peninsula news
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap 20 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire