Police activity closes Dumbarton Bridge Tuesday afternoon
MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Just before 5 p.m. the Dumbarton Bridge reopened after it was closed to traffic in both directions because of a man threatening to jump off the bridge. It was closed for two hours.
A man threatening to jump off the Dumbarton Bridge this afternoon has been taken safely into custody, a Menlo Park police spokeswoman said.
The California Highway Patrol received multiple reports at 2:30 p.m. of a man sitting on the rail of the bridge, CHP Sgt. Trent Cross said. A short time later, one of the man's friends called the CHP and said that the man was going to jump, Cross said.
Traffic on the bridge was shut down in both directions, and a negotiating team from the Menlo Park Police Department responded to the scene, police spokeswoman Nicole Acker said.
The U.S. Coast Guard also sent out a 25-foot boat from Station San Francisco in case the man jumped, Lt. j.g. Laura Williams said.
The negotiating team initially had trouble getting through to the man, who was not allowing them to get closer than 20 feet to him, Acker said.
However, they were eventually able to talk the man off the rail, and he was safely taken into custody at 4:36 p.m., Acker said.
The roadway was being reopened as of 4:45 p.m., but major delays are expected on the bridge during the evening commute, CHP Officer Peter Van Eckhardt said.
"I imagine it's not going to be real pretty down there," he said.
menlo park, dumbarton bridge, peninsula news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 32 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 29 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos