1 dead, 1 seriously injured in crash with CHP car
SAN CARLOS, Calif. -- A Burlingame man was killed Thursday night and an El Granada man suffered major injuries when the motorcycle they were riding collided with a California Highway Patrol car on U.S. Highway 101 in Redwood City, a CHP officer said.
The patrol car tried to pull over the motorcycle for a speed violation at about 9:30 p.m. on southbound Highway 101 north of Ralston Avenue, but the riders on the 1992 Suzuki resisted, CHP Officer Art Montiel said.
The motorcycle exited the highway at Holly Street, where the men attempted to elude CHP officers before re-entering southbound Highway 101 at Harbor Boulevard, Montiel said.
As the motorcycle approached Brittan Avenue, a patrol car on the on-ramp to Highway 101 began accelerating to assist in the pursuit.
For reasons yet to be determined, the motorcycle crossed several lanes of traffic and into the path of the patrol vehicle entering the freeway, Montiel said.
Both of the men on the motorcycle were transported to Stanford Hospital, where Grant Coles, 45, of Burlingame, succumbed to his injuries, Montiel said.
Joseph Coles, 19, of El Granada, suffered major injuries in the crash. The officer sustained minor injuries but did not require medical treatment, Montiel said.
The CHP is still trying to determine who was driving the motorcycle at the time of the collision. Witnesses are asked to contact Redwood City CHP Officer K. Steinkraus at (650) 369-6261.
highway 101, redwood city, san carlos, CHP, peninsula news
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 57 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 37 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose 40 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
18 min ago