Injured Marine comes home to heroes welcome
SAN BRUNO, Calif. (KGO) -- Navy Corpsman Joe Burns came home today accompanied by the roar of motorcycles sirens and the cheers and tears of about 50 family and friends.
Burns arrived sporting a bandage on his injured heel and leg. A roadside bomb blew up his vehicle shattering five bones in his heel. He seemed surprised shy and overcome at the welcome his family and friends wanted him to enjoy.
"It's a little much, but I'm enjoying it. It's pretty good to be home. I didn't expect any of this. It feels good, I'm glad to be home. I'm glad to be with my family. These guys are really awesome to do this for me, " Joe Burns said.
His family suffered through his deployment, especially when he was wounded just a month and a half after he arrived in Afghanistan. Now they're happy to have him home.
"It was awful. I cried every day. It was really hard," his sister Leigh Burns-Quan said.
"It was terrible. He was doing his job. Thank God for technology, we got to hear from him by satellite phone or the computer, maybe every other day," said his mom, Lori Burns.
Burns is only 20 years old. He was the youngest Corpsman in his deployment. When he arrived in Afghanistan many of his fellow Marines were sick with the flu. They were short of medicine so Burns spent his own money to buy what he needed to treat his men. Congresswoman Jackie Speier will give him the high honor of reading his name into the Congressional record next week.
afghanistan war, san bruno, marines, peninsula news
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela 39 min ago
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Black ice on I-280 near crash in San Mateo County 27 min ago
- NTSB hearing on Asiana crash at SFO postponed
- SF firefighters gain upper hand on Recology plant fire
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos