Surfer Sion Milosky drowns at Mavericks
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. -- Hawaiian surfer Sion Milosky died after an accident at Mavericks Wednesday evening, a San Mateo County deputy coroner said.
Milosky, 35, was found at the famous surfing spot by emergency crews who responded to a 911 call around 6:50 p.m., deputy coroner Emily Tauscher said.
He was transported to a hospital where he died at about 7:45 p.m.
Milosky was a well-known big wave surfer who was sponsored by athletic clothing company Volcom last year, according to his Facebook page.
The cause of the accident is under investigation, Tauscher said.
A YouTube video from Window Seat Pictures shows Milosky surfing.
half moon bay, mavericks, peninsula news
- Firefighters control 4-alarm fire in Concord 3 min ago
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Only On 7: SF kids describe obstacles in Tenderloin
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing 10 min ago
- Memorial to take place in SF to honor Mandela 26 min ago
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Oakland fire; Asiana crash hearing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday