CPUC could vote to impose record fines on PG&E
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Today, the California Public Utilities Commission could vote to impose its heaviest fines ever. The state could charge PG&E up to $1 million a day for missing gas pipeline records.
It's estimated that PG&E is still missing about 8 percent of necessary documents on its pipeline safety records, including pressure-tests done on the pipeline system. And until those documents can be produced, the CPUC is considering fining the utility company up to $1 million a day.
Some believe the agency is taking a harsher stance with PG&E. There are reports that the CPUC is calling San Bruno - "a game changer" and wants to take aggressive steps to improve safety. The San Bruno pipeline explosion and fire last September killed eight people and destroyed 38 homes. For the past few months, PG&E had been working around the clock - trying to recover all documents, to meet last week's march 15 deadline.
PG&E says it's intensely focused on public safety and some CPUC members believe that the utility company is working hard and cooperating. But this morning, the commission will consider whether to propose this $1 million a day fine, which would be the biggest fine it has ever issued against PG&E for a safety violation. The utility company will have a chance to respond at a hearing next Monday.
Whatever happens there, the San Bruno incident has prompted possible new pipeline regulations at the state and federal level.
san bruno fire, PG&E, california public utilities commission, peninsula news, janelle wang
- 1 dead, 16 injured in East Harlem explosion 27 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos