Repairs continue on washed out Hillsbourough road
HILLSBOROUGH, Calif. -- Road crews were continuing emergency repairs this morning in Hillsborough, where a 30-foot section of Woodridge Road washed away in wet weather over the weekend, a police captain said.
Officials noticed a crack forming in the 100 block of Woodridge Road about six feet from the northbound shoulder on Saturday afternoon, Hillsborough police Capt. Mark O'Connor said.
The crack widened as saturated ground beneath the northbound lane began to turn to mud and slip downhill, O'Connor said.
Slippage continued throughout the day Saturday until a 30-foot section of asphalt, mud and rock had fallen away from the road, exposing a 2-inch natural gas supply line and a 6-inch water line, O'Connor said.
As many as 22 public employees responded, O'Connor said, including an engineering team, police, water and sewer officials and Hillsborough Mayor Thomas Kasten.
Crews worked as weather permitted through Sunday, removing truckloads of debris and installing sheet pilings to stabilize the hillside.
Work will continue this week, O'Connor said. Woodridge Road will remain closed except to emergency vehicles until further notice.
O'Connor said the cost to reconstruct the road could go as high as $50,000 to $70,000.
hillsborough, rain, flooding, peninsula news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 6 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Report indicates Mission Bay fire was accidental
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications 10 min ago
- Reports: Ferry with 471 people sinking off SKorea
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos