San Carlos to decide fate of fire department
SAN CARLOS, Calif. (KGO) -- San Carlos has already outsourced its parks and payroll services in the face of a multi-million dollar budget deficit. In two weeks, police operations will be taken over by the San Mateo County Sheriff's Department and now the city is close to deciding the fate of its fire department.
San Bruno and Millbrae's fire departments just agreed to do it and now San Carlos is considering something that's outraging fire fighters. Now that the Belmont and San Carlos fire department which is a joint relationship is dissolving, San Carlos needs a new partner.
The city's consultants are making two recommendations. Allow Wackenhut Services Inc., a private security company to run the department or team up with Redwood City's Fire Department.
"We do a lot of joint training w/redwood city next door, we share a fire marshal, we work very seamlessly with them," Cpt. Gary Jacobs from the Belmont-San Carlos Fire Department.
The fire fighters want the public to stand with them and their preferred choice, and they're going door-to-door to get support. But according to Mayor Omar Ahmad, both choices would retain the same staff, not close any fire stations, and save more than $1 million. But going private could save even more.
"We're not trying to throw people out, but there needs to be a very different structure and a different way that allows San Carlos to move forward fiscally," Ahmad said.
"The way things have been going and the fact that the Wackenhut proposal is still on the table Yeah, I have concerns," Council Member Matt Grocott said.
The concern for many involves changing from a public agency to a privately operated one. Residents are divided.
"Worse comes to worse, join Redwood City but not with private company definitely not," San Carlos resident Piere Haghighi said.
"I think we should do whatever it takes to make the citizens safe as possible. Doesn't matter to me whether private or keep with the city," San Carlos resident Leah McMurtry said.
The city council is expected to make a decision and vote on the matter Monday night.
san mateo county, san carlos, peninsula news, lisa amin gulezian
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo 41 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
20 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos