Stanford considers bringing back ROTC
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- Stanford University officials are holding a meeting Thursday to consider bringing the ROTC program back on campus.
An ad hoc committee report on the issue is recommending Stanford President John Hennessey invite the Reserve Officers Training Corps back to the school. It says the liberal education at Stanford could contribute profoundly to the skills and virtues expected of military leaders.
The report also says congressional repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy was a catalyst for the Stanford committee's recommendation to bring back ROTC.
palo alto, stanford university, don't ask don't tell, military, peninsula news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire