Stanford considers bringing back ROTC
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- Stanford University officials are holding a meeting Thursday to consider bringing the ROTC program back on campus.
An ad hoc committee report on the issue is recommending Stanford President John Hennessey invite the Reserve Officers Training Corps back to the school. It says the liberal education at Stanford could contribute profoundly to the skills and virtues expected of military leaders.
The report also says congressional repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy was a catalyst for the Stanford committee's recommendation to bring back ROTC.
palo alto, stanford university, don't ask don't tell, military, peninsula news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River 50 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- New details released in police officers' murders 23 min ago
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Obama sees narrower terror threat, defends drones
- Report: Most California beaches had clean water in 2012
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- 'Healthbeat' aims to bring medicine, computers together
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos