DA to decide to charge teen with infant's murder
EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. -- Prosecutors will likely decide Wednesday whether to file murder charges against a 17-year-old boy for the fatal shooting of an infant in East Palo Alto over the weekend, San Mateo County's district attorney said Tuesday.
District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said his office and East Palo Alto police are continuing to review evidence gathered in the wake of the shooting, which killed 3-month-old son Izack Jesus Jimenez Garcia, of Redwood City, and wounded his parents, Ivonne Garcia Lopez and Oscar Jimenez.
The teenager was taken into custody Sunday afternoon on weapons charges and was later arrested in connection with the shooting after he implicated himself during questioning, acting police Capt. Jeff Liu said at a news conference on Tuesday.
Liu said the teen and another gunman likely shot the family after mistaking them for the perpetrators of a gang-related assault in Redwood City on May 31.
A second suspect, a 16-year-old East Palo Alto boy, remains in custody on weapons charges and is considered a person of interest in the case, East Palo Alto police spokeswoman Veronica Barries said.
crime, east palo alto, shooting, child death, peninsula news
- South African leader Nelson Mandela has died
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Cal signs $18M deal for naming rights at stadium
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- 5th day of searching for SJ CEO turns up empty
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Bay Area bundles up as frigid weather continues
- Marcus Books strikes deal with owners to stay
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: Radiant Orchid 2014 Color of the Year
- roundup: Sports Cap Bandit; SF hit-and-run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday