Speier's office sponsors job boot camp
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- People on the hunt for jobs got some help jump starting their careers on Tuesday. Congresswoman Jackie Speier's office sponsored the Job Boot Camp at the College Of San Mateo.
The event featured the usual face-to-face meetings between recruiters and job seekers, but it also offered seminars on career building skills for recent college grads, veterans, and older workers who have had trouble finding a job.
"Sometimes mature workers can feel like they're being age biased against. So by looking at the value that they bring and the accomplishments they have racked up in their career, they are then able to present that better to the employer," said career advisor Camille Grabowski.
Speier started hosting job boot camps last year and she says she'll keep doing it until "they are no longer needed."
Job seekers are invited to attend the next free job fair that is an ABC7/Job Journal HIREvent.
ABC7/Job Journal HIREvent
Tuesday, June 28
Noon -- 4 p.m.
Nelson Community Center
611 Village Drive
Suisun City, Calif.
san mateo, jobs, peninsula news
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Elevator company cited in death at Levi's Stadium
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco 33 min ago
- MLB intends to ban plate collisions 54 min ago
- Spotify launches free mobile streaming service
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child 43 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world 30 min ago
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday