Driver arrested at hospital for murder, DUI
EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A woman was arrested Monday evening on suspicion of homicide and drunken driving in connection with a Friday night crash in East Palo Alto that killed her 22-year-old passenger, police said.
Officers took Leylani Simmons, 25, of East Palo Alto, into custody at Stanford Hospital, where she had been recovering from injuries she suffered in the crash, acting police Capt. Jeff Liu said.
Simmons was taken from the hospital to San Mateo County Jail, where she was booked on charges of homicide and driving under the influence of alcohol resulting in great bodily injury or death, Liu said.
At about 10:30 p.m. on Friday, patrol officers attempted to pull over Simmons after she was seen driving recklessly near Pulgas Avenue and Camellia Drive, police said.
She allegedly refused to pull over and crashed at the intersection of Pulgas Avenue and East Bayshore Road, according to police. Simmons and her passenger, East Palo Alto resident Lorina Veamatahau, were ejected in the crash.
Veamatahau died at the scene.
In addition to homicide and DUI charges, Simmons was arrested on a warrant out of Santa Clara County for reckless driving and defrauding an innkeeper. Her license had been suspended.
Anyone who might have witnessed the crash is asked to call or text message police at (650) 409-6792 or email to email@example.com.
east palo alto, crash, DUI, peninsula news
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope 3 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore 58 min ago
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list 46 min ago
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos