Haiku contest marks Koko's 40th birthday
WOODSIDE, Calif. (KGO) -- Koko, the first gorilla to master sign language, is turning 40.
Koko was born at the San Francisco Zoo and she lives in Woodside. The Bay Area organization that cares for her is celebrating with a birthday haiku contest.
The Gorilla Foundation asked people to post the poems about Koko on Twitter. More than 100 were submitted through June.
Monday the foundation announced the winning poem tweeted by user @met314.
"Gentle lady ape
Nimble fingers share her thoughts
Teaching us to love"
The winner will receive a painting by Koko.
animal, woodside, twitter, peninsula news
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos