Haiku contest marks Koko's 40th birthday
WOODSIDE, Calif. (KGO) -- Koko, the first gorilla to master sign language, is turning 40.
Koko was born at the San Francisco Zoo and she lives in Woodside. The Bay Area organization that cares for her is celebrating with a birthday haiku contest.
The Gorilla Foundation asked people to post the poems about Koko on Twitter. More than 100 were submitted through June.
Monday the foundation announced the winning poem tweeted by user @met314.
"Gentle lady ape
Nimble fingers share her thoughts
Teaching us to love"
The winner will receive a painting by Koko.
animal, woodside, twitter, peninsula news
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 36 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 43 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos