Controlled burn planned near Woodside
SAN MATEO COUNTY, Calif. -- Cal Fire will be conducting a controlled burn in unincorporated San Mateo County near Woodside Monday.
The burn was expected to begin late this morning on land owned by Stanford University at the Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve, located west of Interstate Highway 280 and south of Sand Hill Road.
About 1.2 acres of grassland will be burned, and smoke will likely be visible to motorists and residents in the area, according to the university.
The burn is part of a project to help Stanford University researchers study the effects of various climate change scenarios on California grasslands.
cal fire, san mateo county, woodside, fire, peninsula news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap 1 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos