Geography bee brings whiz kids to Bay Area
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (KGO) -- Some of the world's brightest whiz kids in geography were at Google on Wednesday for the National Geographic World Championship, moderated by Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek.
Trebek has always moderated the National Graphic World Championship, which this year was hosted by Google.
Teams from 18 countries participated; on Wednesday, the top three countries -- Canada, Chinese Taipei and Russia -- answered questions in a game show format.
In the end, it was the team from Russia who won the top prize.
"When we discovered this geography bee, we thought this would be a perfect avenue for us to get more students interested in geography," said Brian McClendon with Google Earth.
Trebek appeared at the event after recovering from a burglary attempt on his hotel room early Wednesday morning. Trebek says he caught a woman stealing money and jewelry from his San Francisco hotel room.
mountain view, google, peninsula news, lyanne melendez
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 22 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- FREE STUFF: Sour Flour; Kevel Fly Ties
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Tips for spotting counterfeit bills
13 min ago