2 men arrested after long, high-speed chase
LATHROP, Calif. (KGO) -- A high-speed chase came to an end at a Central Valley gas station and police took into custody two men. At first, authorities thought these were the two suspects wanted in connection with murder investigations in East Palo Alto and Colorado.
The chase started before 8 p.m. in Newark and went north on I-880 to Oakland, then I-980, then onto I-580 through Livermore to I-5, ending in Lathrop in the Central Valley. The chase finally ended in San Joaquin County around 9:30 p.m., off of I-5 north at the Louise Avenue exit in Lathrop.
There was a very large police presence in Lathrop. Officers from San Mateo County SWAT, East Palo Alto Police, and the Highway Patrol left the scene around 11 p.m.
They stopped a silver Mercedes and had the suspects pull over at a Shell gas station. Police originally believed the ones in the car were two men wanted out of East Palo Alto for a crime spree that involves four murders, armed robberies and burglaries. The suspects are not involved in connection with any of those crimes, but the police thought they were because the car they were driving was registered to one of the murder suspects. Police still have not confirmed the identities of the two men arrested.
CHP got ahead of the suspect's car and laid down a spike strip that stopped the Mercedes on the highway.
Some 30 to 50 armed officers then got the suspects to pull into a gas station and then got them out of their car.
Shortly before 11 p.m., the two men were taken away in a San Mateo County Sheriff's car. The thought is that they're heading back to Redwood City where they'll be booked for evading police.
Police are saying very little about the entire chase or if they found any weapons inside the car. The only thing they did tell ABC7 was that it was a joint operation involving East Palo Alto police and CHP officers.
gang violence, murder, east palo alto, CHP, peninsula news, lisa amin gulezian
- Occupy the Farm protesters returning to Albany land
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Cyclists converge in Livermore for Amgen Tour of CA
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention Center 13 min ago
- Missing 3-year-old Hayward boy found 25 min ago
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack 10 min ago
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- Anti-gay rights group protests Harvey Milk Day in ads
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Free dental care offered at SJ Convention...
13 min ago