Sole pit bull responsible for killing pregnant woman
PACIFICA, Calif. -- Preliminary results from an autopsy performed Friday on a pregnant woman found mauled to death in her Pacifica home show that one of her two pit bulls was likely responsible for killing her, police said Monday.
Darla Napora, 32, was found Thursday afternoon when her husband came home from work and said their 2-year-old male pit bull was hovering over her badly mauled body, according to police.
Efforts to revive Napora were not successful and paramedics declared her dead at the home.
The dog believed to have been responsible for the attack was shot and killed by police when it escaped from a backyard enclosure and approached emergency responders.
An autopsy conducted by the San Mateo County coroner's office concluded that Napora died from a combination of shock and blood loss from dog bites, police reported today.
Preliminary results from a necropsy preformed on the deceased pit bull showed the dog was likely the only animal that took part in the fatal attack. Investigators collected tissue samples, blood evidence and teeth impressions from the suspected dog and the second pet pit bull, a female.
Two forensic odontologists, or bite experts, compared the teeth impressions with bite marks on Napora and concluded that the wounds on her body were consistent with bites from the suspect male dog, according to police.
There was no evidence of any other trauma suffered by Napora that led to her death. Complete and final results from the autopsy and necropsy will not be available for at least two weeks.
The female pit bull remains in custody at the Peninsula Humane Society.
pacifica, animal, dog attack, peninsula news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance 21 min ago
- Cause of Mountain View house fire investigated
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches
- Tax payment scam cost Belmont woman $3,000
- Person stabbed during fight at SF's Dolores Park 52 min ago
- Woman Canadian goalie debuts in men's league 26 min ago
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case
- Two killed by suspected DUI driver in in Santa Rosa 49 min ago
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos