Second shooting victim turns up at hospital
SAN MATEO, Calif. -- A second victim of a Sunday afternoon shooting in Half Moon Bay turned up at a Moss Beach hospital on Monday, a San Mateo County sheriff's spokesman said today.
Deputies went to Seton Medical Center Coastside at about 9:15 a.m. Monday after receiving a report that a male gunshot victim had been admitted there, sheriff's Lt. Ray Lunny said. The victim had suffered a single gunshot wound to the chest and was in stable condition.
A preliminary investigation put the victim at the scene of a gang-related shooting that happened in the 200 block of Grove Street at about 4:45 p.m. Sunday, Lunny said.
People in the area reported hearing five or six gunshots, and arriving deputies found Half Moon Bay resident Jose Monroy, 29, bleeding from a gunshot wound to his foot.
Monroy, who investigators said was intoxicated, claimed he had sprained his ankle. He was arrested for public intoxication and taken to Stanford Hospital for treatment.
Investigators believe the shooting was gang-related and may have stemmed from a dispute between the Norteno and Sureno street gangs, Lunny said.
Neither victim has been cooperative with investigators, Lunny said.
The shooter is described as a Hispanic man between 20 and 24 years old. He had short hair and was wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans. He fled the scene of the shooting on a beach cruiser bicycle.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact San Mateo County sheriff's Detective Matt Broad at (650) 363-4363 or call the anonymous tip line at (800) 547-2700.
crime, shooting, half moon bay, peninsula news
- Fiery crash closes WB I-580 lanes in Livermore 4 min ago
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- BART and unions to meet today over contract
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire 59 min ago
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the House
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos