PG&E says it is not to blame for pipeline blast
SAN BRUNO, Calif. (KGO) -- Pacific Gas and Electric says it is not responsible for the pipeline explosion in San Bruno last year.
In documents made public this week, the utility says a bad weld -- in a pipe installed by a contractor -- caused the explosion that killed eight people and destroyed a neighborhood.
PG&E did take responsibility for a spike in pressure prior to the explosion, but the company says that would not have damaged the pipe.
Democratic Assemblyman Jerry Hill, who represents San Bruno, says the utility is talking out of both sides of its mouth.
"They will say one thing. They will send a nice letter saying that they've paid thousands of dollars for a newspaper advertisement apologizing to the people of San Bruno, apologizing to the state and say how we take responsibility for it, but then at every opportunity, legally, they'll look for a way to get out of that," said Hill.
PG&E also defended its response to the disaster, calling it timely and reasonable.
gas leak, explosion, san bruno, PG&E, san bruno fire, peninsula news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF 47 min ago
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos