New whale deck dazzles, educates kids
PACIFICA, Calif. (KGO) -- Kids at a school in Pacifica are trying out a very cool new way to learn some environmental lessons.
On a clear day, a brand-new deck on the playground of Sunset Ridge School offers students the ability to sit and stare at the whales in the ocean. At some point, plaques with information on whales will line the railing of the deck so students can learn about the animals.
Last year, the kids were trying to do their yearly clean-up duty, but found themselves distracted by breeching whales.
"As we were out here, we saw the whales and we did an all-call, a lot of classrooms came out and we watched the whales breeched," said Principal Ellie Cundiff.
The students really didn't have a place to sit and appreciate the view. Student Kenny Camacho said he used to sit against a fence and wait for the whales.
"Now we have something to something to stand on top of and sit on," Camacho said.
Parent John Edwards put the word out to fellow parents and the PTA that they would need a lot of help to make the deck happen. The response was overwhelming: A local bakery and coffee chain provided snacks and fuel to keep them going.
When Kayla Nerg was principal for a day, she decided to reach out to Home Depot for help and was surprised when the company made a $9,000 donation and sent work crews over to help.
"I stumbled, and I couldn't stop smiling," Nerg said.
The deck was finished earlier this week, just in time for the first week of school. The kids now have a place to watch for the whales and dolphins that play in their backyard.
"I like 'em, because they're real cool and beautiful," said fifth grader Conor Jensen.
"I like how it turned out," said Nerg.
The deck is shaped like a whale's tail. The deck was completely paid for through private donations. No taxpayer money was used in the construction of the deck.
pacifica, whale, peninsula news, amy hollyfield
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF 36 min ago
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student 21 min ago
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos