District raising money for girl killed in crosswalk
EAST PALO ALTO, Calif. -- The Ravenswood Elementary School District is helping to raise money for a memorial service for a student who was struck and killed in a East Palo Alto crosswalk Wednesday morning.
Superintendent Maria De La Vega said the East Palo Alto district is taking up a collection at each school and has put out a call for donations to help pay for services for 6-year-old Sioreli Torres.
Torres, a Green Oaks Academy student, was crossing Bay Road at Gloria Way on her way to school shortly after 8 a.m. when she was struck by an eastbound car, according to police. Her mother and two younger sisters were a few feet behind her in the crosswalk.
The driver, Alisha Whiteparker, 49, of East Palo Alto, was on her way to teach at Costano Elementary School. De Le Vega said Whiteparker is on administrative leave following the accident.
The district brought in around 30 counselors to speak with students Thursday, and those who need it will receive follow-up counseling, De La Vega said.
District staff members are struggling with a great deal of grief over the death, De La Vega said.
"We're just trying to start the healing process and trying to make sure all our children feel safe," she said.
Services are expected to be held at Jones Mortuary in East Palo Alto. Donations can be sent to Zamorra Funeral Expenses for Sioreli, c/o Chase Bank, 2300 Broadway St., Redwood City, CA 94063, account .980072078.
east palo alto, child death, pedestrian struck, peninsula news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
30 min ago