1,700-pound pumpkin wins Half Moon Bay weigh-off
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. -- A winner has been announced after a morning-long pumpkin weigh-off at the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival.
Leonardo Urena, of Napa, grew a 1,704-pound pumpkin, festival spokesman Tim Beeman said.
Urena will receive a $6-per-pound prize for his pumpkin, totaling $10,224 in prize money, plus a $1,000 prize for having grown the heaviest pumpkin in the state of California, Beeman said.
The giant pumpkin will be on display with the four other heaviest pumpkins this weekend at the 41st annual Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin Festival.
half moon bay, safeway, peninsula news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 54 min ago
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting 28 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday