1,700-pound pumpkin wins Half Moon Bay weigh-off
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. -- A winner has been announced after a morning-long pumpkin weigh-off at the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival.
Leonardo Urena, of Napa, grew a 1,704-pound pumpkin, festival spokesman Tim Beeman said.
Urena will receive a $6-per-pound prize for his pumpkin, totaling $10,224 in prize money, plus a $1,000 prize for having grown the heaviest pumpkin in the state of California, Beeman said.
The giant pumpkin will be on display with the four other heaviest pumpkins this weekend at the 41st annual Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin Festival.
half moon bay, safeway, peninsula news
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 32 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 26 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 44 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 36 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 19 min ago
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos