Man accused of posing as contractor pleads not guilty
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- A man accused of stealing money from an elderly woman by posing as a licensed contractor pleaded not guilty in San Mateo County Superior Court Thursday, according to the district attorney's office.
Brian Scott Seefeldt, 47, allegedly responded to a Craigslist ad placed by the 68-year-old victim who sought help with home repairs.
According to the district attorney's office, Seefeldt, a parolee who has been to state prison twice, responded to the ad and completed some work at the victim's home.
Seefeldt allegedly became romantically involved with the woman, whom he told he was a licensed and bonded contractor when he told her that her home's roof needed extensive repairs, according to the district attorney's office.
The victim allegedly paid Seefeldt $6,264 for the roof repairs at the start of the project, but he disappeared several weeks into the project, leaving $2,000 worth of work to be completed and the project's workers unpaid.
Seefeldt was arrested by Daly City police on July 1 on suspicion of embezzlement and fraud against an elderly adult. He had been held on $60,000 bail, which was increased Thursday to $500,000 at the request of prosecutors.
Seefeldt is set to return to court for a pretrial conference,on Feb. 3, 2012, with the trial set for March.
crime, construction, daly city, peninsula news
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos