Redwood City holds tree decorating contest
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- A holiday tree-decorating contest is helping Redwood City gear up for its annual holiday celebration, which will bring fireworks, music, snow and Santa Claus to the city's downtown this weekend.
Community organizations, businesses and youth groups today will decorate trees in downtown storefront windows to compete in the Hometown Holidays Community Tree Decorating Contest, Redwood City officials said.
Contestants will adorn 5- to 7-foot artificial trees provided by the Redwood City Downtown Business Group with lights and dozens of ornaments between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.
The winning tree will be chosen by the public. People can cast their votes in multiple downtown locations.
Redwood City's Hometown Holidays celebration will be held rain or shine on Saturday beginning at 10 a.m., city officials said.
This year's festivities will feature vendor booths, a petting zoo, pony rides, a snow patch and a stage for live music.
A children's parade will start at 4:30 p.m. Saturday, followed by a tree-lighting ceremony at 5:45 p.m. and a fireworks display at 5:50 p.m.
Winners of the Community Tree Decorating Contest will be announced at the City Council's meeting on Jan. 9, 2012.
redwood city, holiday, christmas, hanukkah, peninsula news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos