Man arrested after roommate found dead
BURLINGAME, Calif. -- A Burlingame man has been arrested after police found his 70-year-old roommate dead in their apartment Thursday.
The victim, identified by the San Mateo County coroner's office as Joseph Cosentino, was found in an apartment in the 1900 block of Garden Drive after police received a phone tip around 3 p.m. Thursday from an acquaintance of the suspect, said police Capt. Mike Matteucci.
The caller said Lawrence Arthur Hoffman, 64, had told him that he had recently killed his roommate in Burlingame. The caller was able to provide the suspect's name, but did not have a name or address for the victim, Matteucci said.
Police located Cosentino in the apartment later Thursday evening and determined that he had died within the past week as a result of foul play, although an official time and cause of death are still pending, Matteucci said.
Cosentino and Hoffman had been roommates for about three months, police said.
Hoffman was tracked to a hotel in Glendale, Calif., and arrested on suspicion of murder. He has since been brought back to the Bay Area and booked into San Mateo County Jail.
crime, burlingame, peninsula news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos