Man arrested after roommate found dead
BURLINGAME, Calif. -- A Burlingame man has been arrested after police found his 70-year-old roommate dead in their apartment Thursday.
The victim, identified by the San Mateo County coroner's office as Joseph Cosentino, was found in an apartment in the 1900 block of Garden Drive after police received a phone tip around 3 p.m. Thursday from an acquaintance of the suspect, said police Capt. Mike Matteucci.
The caller said Lawrence Arthur Hoffman, 64, had told him that he had recently killed his roommate in Burlingame. The caller was able to provide the suspect's name, but did not have a name or address for the victim, Matteucci said.
Police located Cosentino in the apartment later Thursday evening and determined that he had died within the past week as a result of foul play, although an official time and cause of death are still pending, Matteucci said.
Cosentino and Hoffman had been roommates for about three months, police said.
Hoffman was tracked to a hotel in Glendale, Calif., and arrested on suspicion of murder. He has since been brought back to the Bay Area and booked into San Mateo County Jail.
crime, burlingame, peninsula news
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- New details released in police officers' murders 49 min ago
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Mourners remember girl, 9, killed in Okla. tornado
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- Woman hit by construction van in critical condition 48 min ago
- SF police launch distracted walking campaign 14 min ago
- SFO employee accused of stealing from luggage 40 min ago
- BART to vote on allowing bikes on rush hour trains 28 min ago
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Missing pony; High-speed rail
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos