Man pleads not guilty to killing elderly roommate
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- A Burlingame man who was arrested last month on suspicion of fatally beating his 70-year-old roommate pleaded not guilty to a murder charge in San Mateo County Superior Court on Wednesday.
Lawrence Hoffman, 64, was arrested Dec. 8 at a motel in Glendale, Calif., where police believe he fled after striking his roommate in the head with a blunt instrument sometime around Dec. 5, according to the district attorney's office.
Police discovered the victim, later identified as Joseph Consentino, after receiving a tip on Dec. 8 from an acquaintance of Hoffman's, who said he had confessed to killing his roommate.
The victim was found in the apartment he shared with Hoffman in the 1900 block of Garden Drive. He had a five-inch fracture to the back of his skull, according to the district attorney's office.
Prosecutors allege that Hoffman covered the victim's body with blankets and placed an air freshener dispenser in the room before fleeing to Southern California.
Police used Hoffman's cellphone records to track him down, prosecutors said.
He was later brought back to San Mateo County, where he remains in custody without bail.
Hoffman is scheduled to appear in court to set a preliminary hearing date on March 14.
burlingame, redwood city, crime, murder, peninsula news
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 26 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 35 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
26 min ago