No threat found after email prompts school lockdown
BURLINGAME, Calif. -- Burlingame High School was briefly locked down this afternoon because of a threatening email purported to be from a student saying he had a gun and a bomb, a police spokesman said.
The school, located at 1 Mangini Way in Burlingame, was locked down shortly after 2 p.m. because of the threat, which was sent to school administrators, according to San Mateo Union High School District officials.
The administrators confirmed the student who allegedly sent the email was in attendance and called police. Officers arrived and located the student in a classroom and detained him, police spokesman Capt. Mike Matteucci said.
The rest of the school was evacuated while police searched the student, his backpack and locker. No evidence of a threat was found by officers or a bomb-sniffing K-9 unit, Matteucci said.
The student, a juvenile male, cooperated with investigators, who are still trying to determine if there was a credible threat or if it was a hoax.
"He claims he doesn't know anything about it," Matteucci said.
No arrests have been made and no injuries were reported during the incident, he said.
Other students were released to their parents at the school's football field after the lockdown was lifted shortly after 2:30 p.m., school district officials said.
burlingame, school lockdown, peninsula news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos