Female student arrested for threatening email to school
BURLINGAME, Calif. -- Burlingame police have arrested a female student whose threatening email caused Burlingame High School to evacuate on Friday.
The girl is believed to have used a male student's online account to send an email to school administrators that claimed he had a gun, a bomb and to shut down the school, according to Burlingame police.
The school was put on lockdown at about 2 p.m. and the campus was evacuated and searched, police said.
No explosives were located and the lockdown was lifted, police said.
Officers detained the boy whose email account was used, and he cooperated with police.
There were no weapons in his possession and based on his statements to investigators, no arrest was made, police said.
A subsequent investigation led police to a female student who was contacted and arrested today, police said.
The girl is believed to have used the boy's email account when he logged on to a school computer and momentarily walked away from his workstation on Friday, police said.
She was arrested for making criminal threats and falsely reporting a bomb.
The suspect, whose identity was not released because she is a juvenile, was released on bail, police said.
burlingame, peninsula news
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward 50 min ago
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall 31 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos