Man who died complained of head pain after fight
BURLINGAME, Calif. -- Police in Burlingame believe a 40-year-old man who was found dead in his apartment earlier this month likely died because of a head injury he suffered in a fight outside a San Francisco BART station three days earlier.
Nawindra "Mike" Singh told his friends that he bumped into another man as he was exiting the Powell Street station on his way to work at about 7 a.m. on April 5, Burlingame police Capt. Mike Matteucci said Wednesday.
Based on witness accounts and statements from his friends, police believe Singh and the suspect got into a physical fight, during which Singh was punched or pushed and hit his head on a wall or the ground, Matteucci said.
Singh refused medical attention at the scene, police said.
Over the next three days, Singh complained growing pain from hitting his head, police said.
The last time Singh made contact with his friends was at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 8, Matteucci said.
Police went to his apartment in the 800 block of Winchester Drive at about 5:40 p.m. that day to perform a welfare check, and found him dead on the living room floor.
The San Mateo County coroner's office confirmed that Singh died of head trauma, Matteucci said.
Investigators are hoping additional witnesses will come forward with information about the other person involved in the fight.
Anyone who might have witnessed the incident outside the BART station or who has information about a potential suspect is asked to call Burlingame police at (650) 777-4100.
burlingame, peninsula news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive 30 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University 4 min ago
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday