Mountain lion spotted near Crystal Springs Dam
SAN MATEO COUNTY, Calif. -- A mountain lion was spotted Thursday afternoon around the Sawyer Camp County Historic Trail in the San Francisco State Fish and Game Refuge, San Mateo County emergency officials said.
The mountain lion was seen at around 2:30 p.m. near the Crystal Springs Dam west of the San Mateo Highlands, emergency officials said.
To avoid mountain lions, residents are advised to avoid hiking or jogging at dawn, dusk and night, when mountain lions are most active.
Anyone who does see a mountain lion is advised not to run, but instead face the cat, make noise and to try to look bigger by waiving their arms and throwing rocks or other objects.
san mateo county, animal, mountain lion sighting, peninsula news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive 35 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University 9 min ago
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday