Judge rules against high school student who cheated
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- A San Mateo County judge made a ruling this morning in an unusual case. Parents sued a high school district for kicking their son out of an honors class because he cheated.
The judge ruled in favor of Sequoia High School and Unified School District and against the 17-year-old who admits he cheated. The judge said he would not grant an immediate injunction to get the student back in the class.
The teen and his mother signed a document that he would not cheat, then he copied another student's work. The student's father, who is also an attorney, said the expulsion from the class severely impact his son's future.
The judge said the student cheated, there was no denial of education, the student had no right to be in an advanced English course and if the case went to trial, the father and student would probably lose.
"If you are caught cheating, you should be kicked out of the class. You shouldn't fake how smart you are," said student Ally Reid.
The father did receive a number of very harsh calls from parents who were upset about the cheating and tying up school district attorneys in costly litigation. The father sued the high school, school district, superintendant and principal.
lawsuit, redwood city, peninsula news, terry mcsweeney
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose 21 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 59 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos