Judge rules against high school student who cheated
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- A San Mateo County judge made a ruling this morning in an unusual case. Parents sued a high school district for kicking their son out of an honors class because he cheated.
The judge ruled in favor of Sequoia High School and Unified School District and against the 17-year-old who admits he cheated. The judge said he would not grant an immediate injunction to get the student back in the class.
The teen and his mother signed a document that he would not cheat, then he copied another student's work. The student's father, who is also an attorney, said the expulsion from the class severely impact his son's future.
The judge said the student cheated, there was no denial of education, the student had no right to be in an advanced English course and if the case went to trial, the father and student would probably lose.
"If you are caught cheating, you should be kicked out of the class. You shouldn't fake how smart you are," said student Ally Reid.
The father did receive a number of very harsh calls from parents who were upset about the cheating and tying up school district attorneys in costly litigation. The father sued the high school, school district, superintendant and principal.
lawsuit, redwood city, peninsula news, terry mcsweeney
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 22 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 37 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 24 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 33 min ago
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Amazon launches grocery service for Prime members 5 min ago
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 39 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 44 min ago