2 arrested after stolen iPad uploads pics to iCloud
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- Two Redwood City teenagers were arrested Wednesday after an iPad taken last month during a home burglary automatically uploaded pictures of the suspects onto one of the victim's online accounts, police said.
The iPad was stolen in May from a home in the 100 block of Danbury Lane, according to Redwood City police.
A GPS tracking app installed on the device called "Track Me Find Me" led police to an apartment building in the 1600 block of Oxford Street.
After an initial investigation, police were unable to find the stolen iPad or identify any suspects, Sgt. Sean Hart said.
On Saturday, however, the victim contacted police to say that recently taken photographs of a teenage girl and boy had automatically uploaded to his "iCloud" storage account.
Investigators were able to identify the 15-year-old girl and 16-year-old boy, and returned to the apartments at 1619 Oxford St., where the suspects were located and taken into custody, police said.
Police subsequently identified the pair as suspects in a second home burglary that occurred in the 300 block of Newcastle Drive on May 30.
Both have allegedly confessed to being involved in the two burglaries, according to police.
Police have not recovered the stolen property, Hart said. An undisclosed amount of cash was seized that is believed to have come from the sale of the items.
redwood city, crime, iPad, peninsula news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 33 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
25 min ago