Search for missing 3-year-old ends in tragedy
SAN MATEO, Calif. (KGO) -- A search for a missing girl ended in tragedy after she was found dead in an apparent drowning Saturday in the San Mateo Lagoon.
The 3-year-old-girl had gone missing earlier in the day and police discovered her body late in the afternoon. The accident happened just off Day Street in San Mateo.
San Mateo Police Department Lt. Pat Molloy said the child was located in the water and pulled from the lagoon. Officers and emergency personnel tried to revive the child but were unsuccessful.
Molloy said investigators will now interview the family. They will try to find out how the girl, who has other siblings, managed to get to the water.
There are a lot of other families in the area with children and the neighborhood has been hit hard by the tragedy.
child death, san mateo, peninsula news
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- BART police chief bringing auditor to assess reforms 15 min ago
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue 6 min ago
- Interest rates for subsidized loans may double July 1
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park 10 min ago
- Medical association recognizes obesity as a disease 17 min ago
- Fire burns 50 acres in Benicia
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- Miami Heat force Game 7 in NBA Finals
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday