Suspected auto thief arrested after ramming cars, fleeing
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- A 19-year-old man was arrested in Fremont on Monday after he allegedly rammed his vehicle into San Mateo County Vehicle Theft Task Force agents' cars in East Palo Alto and then fled across the Dumbarton Bridge.
The collision occurred around 2 p.m. at Rutgers and Fordham streets as task force agents were attempting to detain the man, Tywaun Livingston, of East Palo Alto, in connection with a car theft, task force officials said.
Livingston, who had active arrest warrants for weapons and narcotics offenses, allegedly sped toward the agents' vehicles in the stolen car as they exited the vehicles, task force spokesman John Munsey said.
One agent fired his gun, and Livingston fled and drove across the Dumbarton Bridge, Munsey said.
Fremont police were notified that he was headed into their city, and officers responded to assist, Fremont police Sgt. Jeff Campbell said.
Officers caught up with Livingston on foot in the area of Paseo Padre Parkway and Fremont Boulevard, and he was taken into custody, Campbell said. The car he was driving was found about a block away.
A perimeter was set up to search for a passenger believed to have been in the vehicle, but the search was called off when it was determined that the passenger had exited the car before it crossed the bridge, Campbell said.
Livingston was arrested on suspicion of vehicle theft, assaulting a peace officer with a deadly weapon, possession of stolen property, and driving with willful disregard for personal safety while fleeing from police officers.
The task force and East Palo Alto police are jointly investigating the incident.
Livingston appeared in the news late last year when he was injured in a shooting in East Palo Alto. The shooting happened around 9 p.m. on Dec. 14 as he was walking with a friend in the 100 block of Verbena Drive, police said.
Livingston suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and was treated at Stanford Hospital.
east palo alto, fremont, crime, police chase, peninsula news
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County 21 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward 54 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case